– Supports Sustainable Construction with Environmental Benefits
“The new Decade will focus on on the sustainable development and integrated management of water resources for the achievement of social, economic and environmental objectives and on the implementation and promotion of related programmes and projects, as well as on the furtherance of cooperation and partnership at all levels in order to help to achieve internationally agreed water-related goals and targets, including those contained in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.”
– International Decade for Action, “Water for Sustainable Development”, 2018–2028, http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/71/222
With these challenges and innovative measures, Bio-Microbics can help identify effective solutions with our sustainable water solutions. Our commitment is to build a “better world” by advancing “better water” treatment technologies. Bio-Microbics products are an integrated water strategy for the rural/urban environment. Tested and certified by many third-party certification programs and real world field service history, they prove our long-term operational performance capabilities for wastewater treatment.
SIMPLE | LOW-COST | ROBUST
Towards sustainability, from adaptive reuse to new construction, environmentally-conscious property owners are looking for ways to offset the limited supply and rising cost of potable water resources.
USGBC® LEED® principles
Focused on the LEED principles of sustainable sites and water efficiency, clients of our Distributors want technology that promotes best management practices (BMPs) and provides water conservation and efficiency in landscaping and reuse. Additionally, the implementation of Low Impact Development (LID) practices for stormwater and water management projects are equally important with the sustainable principle of valuing water on a site and seeking opportunities for sites to mimic more natural hydrologic conditions through surface runoff volume reductions.
With many benefits for onsite treatment, a BioBarrier® MBR, BioBarrier® HSMBR®, and/or FAST® Treatment System treats wastewater to higher standards over conventional methods. After tertiary treatment, water from a BioBarrier® MBR, BioBarrier® HSMBR®, and/or FAST® Treatment System can be reused for water reuse opportunities:
- Provide drip irrigation for landscaping, gardens, green walls, etc.
- Provide (non-contact with edible portions) irrigation of small-scale agriculture and/or vegetable gardens.
- Toilet flushing water
- For larger Commercial Properties: Use reclaimed water for cooling in thermal power generation.
- For larger Commercial Properties: Process water for power or various production or manufacturing processes.
- Use as “cleaning” water for machine wash down or other non-potable use.
Bio-Microbics’ systems are a scalable, efficient solution to significantly lower the cost of wastewater pretreatment, which enables our customers, regardless of their size, to gain a rapid return on their investment. As consumer demand continues to grow for incorporating sustainable water reuse solutions, Bio-Microbics will respond by providing a number of treatment technologies that assist in completing the project on budget and to the satisfaction of the owners and local regulations.
Certified Water (blackwater/greywater) Recycling technologies that combat drought-ridden and water scarce-prone areas. Bio-Microbics focuses on providing advanced, wastewater treatment systems that are design efficient and support sustainable construction goals for resilient homes or long-term performance of buildings. Using Fixed Integrated Treatment Technologies (FITT™), Bio-Microbics FAST® and BioBarrier® systems have proven themselves to meet the rigorous demands of the most challenging projects. Our products deliver consistently high performance in a simple, pre-engineered, modular design for easy shipment around the globe:
- Water efficient landscaping
- Onsite Water reuse
- Innovative wastewater technologies
- Environmentally-friendly construction practices
- Erosion and sedimentation control
- Stormwater management
- Energy reduction and optimization
- Existing Building Improvements
- Operations and maintenance optimization
- Construction waste reduction
- Local and regional materials
- Rapidly renewable materials use
- Reducing and Recycling Waste
These NSF/ANSI Std 245 certified systems provide nitrogen reduction for residential wastewater treatment systems (400 gallons and 1500 gallons per day). FAST® and BioBarrier® systems (.5-1.5) met the following effluent concentrations averaged over the course of the testing period (6 months). The NSF/ANSI Standard 245 defines total nitrogen reduction requirements to meet the growing demand for nutrient reduction in coastal areas and sensitive environments. NSF/ANSI 245 covers residential wastewater treatment systems with rated capacities between 400 and 1,500 gallons (1,514 and 5,678 liters) per day. (http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/water-wastewater/onsite-wastewater/nitrogen-reduction):
- CBOD5 – 25 mg/L
- TSS – 30 mg/L
- Total Nitrogen – at least a 50% average of influent TKN
- pH – 6.0 to 9.0 SU
The NSF/ANSI Standard 350 blackwater/greywater certified systems has a pass/fail criteria of 10 mg/l of CBOD5 and TSS. Turbidity of less than 5 NTU and E. Coli of less than 14 MPN/100 ml. (http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/water-wastewater/onsite-wastewater/onsite-reuse-water-treatment-systems/) The BioBarrier test results were non-detectable CBOD5 and TSS. Turbidity of 0.25 NTU and E. Coli of 1.3 MPN/100 ml.
Bio-Microbics systems provide a reduction of 80-99% in the organic loading and minimize solids and pollutants during the robust, in-the-tank treatment process. Treating water to higher standards for non-potable water reuse opportunities (i.e. irrigation, backflow for toilets, sprinkler systems, equipment wash down, etc.), an onsite system can reduce the dependencies on potable water resources. Water recycling methods are not a matter of energy vs. materials recovery; rather, it relies on the appropriate treatment process employed to achieve optimum results. Only then, can “waste” become a resource. For applications such as lawn irrigation and toilet flushing, more homeowners are turning to onsite wastewater to reduce their impact on the environment.
The rise in demand for sustainable technologies to the world’s water needs, green-building incentives, changes in regulations, water shortages, and the rising cost of water have all become principal drivers towards the sustainable water, wastewater, greywater, and stormwater treatment solutions. A decentralized wastewater treatment plant allows communities to remotely treat wastewater to high standards, thereby alleviating the need for expanding centralized sewage systems and long distance pipelines, which can be disruptive and costly.
These advanced, onsite wastewater treatment systems are designed specifically treat all the blackwater (toilets/kitchen sinks) and grey water (sinks, showers, washers, etc.) generated from single-family homes to other larger, multi-family residential and commercial properties that far exceed typical effluent requirements. In addition, the treatment quality from Bio-Microbics systems can meet onsite applications and project goals to alleviate the need for a drain field, overcome land constraints, protect ground/surface waters, help conserve natural resources or ideal for environmentally sensitive applications.
Bio-Microbics wastewater and stormwater treatment systems can compete economically with other filtration and secondary treatment technologies when consistent nitrogen and phosphorous removal is required, or the water is typically difficult to treat (i.e. higher organic loading from commercial properties or contains fats, oils, and grease, etc.). Other applications include, but not limited to winery wastewater (averages ~7700 mg/l BOD5 – 35 times stronger than domestic wastewater); other commercial-type applications: food service, resorts, camps, service sections, manufacturing plants, restaurants, business parks, etc.; sediment, grit, oil, and litter/trash/debris control from storm water runoff; and Water Reuse applications that require NSF/ANSI Standard 350 certification.
Bio-Microbics is not alone; our growing network of dedicated distributors and their skilled employees share our emphasis on improving worldwide water quality and are ready to help with localized services including assistance in construction, installation, regulatory, service/maintenance, consultation and training, and accessory products. In over 70 countries, our Distributors typically specializes in the following water and wastewater consulting activities:
– Process control and troubleshooting
– Pilot plants and treatment studies
– Regulatory compliance and permits
– Water and wastewater start-up services
– Collection system infiltration-inflow studies
– Sampling and analysis
– Distribution and collection system engineering
– Operations and maintenance (O&M) manuals
– Emergency response plans
– Reliability studies and general plans
– Facility planning
– Water reuse applications
– Biosolids management solutions
Onsite wastewater treatment systems are more and more in use in suburbs and rural areas. Local regulations require that systems be certified to ensure the protection and preservation of the public’s health and the environment. Our Bio-Microbics FAST® (submerged, attached growth bioreactors), SeptiTech® STAAR™ (trickling filter), BioBarrier® (membrane bioreactors), and RollsAIR® (extended aeration) treatment technologies provide countless solutions for small decentralized treatment from single-family homes to large commercial and small municipality facilities flows of 150 gpd to 1 million gpd. The Bio-Microbics BioBarrier® MBR system (the first “wastewater” treatment system certified for Water Reuse, NSF/ANSI 350!) can compete economically with secondary treatment technologies in the market.
- NSF® (National Sanitation Foundation International)/ANSI® (American National Standards Institute) Std 40, Class 1, a 6-month (26-week) test. Class I systems must achieve a 30-day average effluent quality of 25 mg/L CBOD5 and 30 mg/L TSS or less, and pH 6.0-9.0.: http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resources/green-living/wastewater-treatment-system-alternatives/residential-wastewater-treatment-systems.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 245, Nitrogen Reduction, defines total nitrogen reduction requirements to meet the growing demand for nutrient reduction in coastal areas and sensitive environments: http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/water-wastewater/onsite-wastewater/nitrogen-reduction.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 350, Class R (Water Reuse), NSF 350 is a water (health) standard, not a wastewater treatment standard with a pass/fail criteria: http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/water-wastewater/onsite-wastewater/onsite-reuse-water-treatment-systems. The BioBarrier system had test results that were non-detectable CBOD5 and TSS; turbidity of 0.25 NTU; and E. Coli of 1.3 MPN/100 ml.
- EN-12566-3, Europe Union, Packaged and/or site assembled domestic wastewater treatment plants for up to 50 People, tested conform the EU Norm EN 12566-3 by PIA in Aachen (Germany) with the percentage reduction of influent pollutants. During the 38-week test the BioBarrier performed the following levels: COD reduction 97.2%, BOD reduction 98.9%, Suspended Solids reduction 99.8%, NH4-N reduction 96.2%, fecal coliforms 99.9%.
- Compliance with Canadian National Standards and BNQ (Bureau de Normalisation du Québec) Test, Canada, Installations must comply with the Q-2, r.22 regulation in accordance with NQ 3680-910 standard
The use of these certifying bodies helps to open new markets and instill confidence that newer technologies are in fact better than current methodologies. With tens of thousands of installations all over the world, the FAST® technology is used successfully in municipal, industrial, marine, commercial and residential type applications for over 35 years. When you buy our advanced Wastewater or Stormwater treatment products, you get the support of a valuable team.