BioBarrier® Membrane Bioreactor
Single-Family, Decentralized Membrane Bioreactor Systems that Meet Future Effluent Standards
A new generation of wastewater treatment solutions bucks the trend to large centralized treatment plants and complex sewer networks. The BioBarrier® membrane bioreactor (MBR) helps to meet the increasingly stringent needs of water quality standards, site issues, and water reuse applications.
Total Water Recycle, Reuse…Right Now
The BioBarrier® MBR was the first system certified for water reuse (NSF/ANSI Std 350, class R) for total blackwater and greywater recycling. BioBarrier’s high-quality effluent provides new opportunities for wastewater recycling techniques that will have dramatic, positive effects on water resources around the globe.
This simple, low-cost, and robust MBR system uses advanced technology to offer the highest quality effluent possible on the market. The pre-engineered, modular MBR ships installation-ready and fits easily into both new and existing tank configurations. The membranes and processes used in this advanced system act as an impenetrable physical barrier for nearly all common pollutants found in wastewater today. BioBarrier’s low-foul, durable, flat-sheet membranes utilize micro-sized pores for physical separation of solids from the wastewater. The system’s unique operation sequence requires no complicated backwash functionality and is completely automated using an advanced control strategy.
BioBarrier® MBR system is designed specifically for the unique needs and characteristics of the onsite and decentralized wastewater industry making it the most advanced system on the market.
• Extremely consistent, high effluent quality
• BOD less than 5 mg/L
• TSS less than 2 mg/L
• Turbidity less than 0.2 NTU
• Fecal coliform less than 200 CFU/100 mL (without disinfection)
• Nutrient removal capability
• Smaller footprint
• Simple operation
• Consistent effluent quality despite influent wastewater characteristics
• Low sludge production
• Energy efficient
Finding the right size…
BioBarrier® treatment systems are engineered for residential strength wastewater in three specific sizes based on daily wastewater flow. The flow for a residence is usually determined at the local regulatory level. Typically each bedroom is assigned a value for the number of GPD of wastewater it will contribute to the overall sewer. The flow for a residence is usually determined at the local regulatory level. Typically each bedroom is assigned a value for the number of GPD of wastewater it will contribute to the overall sewer.
For assistance or questions in sizing, site details, installation/operation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Key things you need to know for your system:
• Local Regulatory Guidelines (State, County, City…)
• Number of Bedrooms/Persons of occupancy
BioBarrier® Available Sizes
BioBarrier® Product Brochures
BioBarrier® Drawings and Specifications
|Unit Size||Hydraulic Capacity||Treatment Capacity||File Type|
|BioBarrier® 0.5||500 US gallons per day (1892 LPD)||consult Bio-Microbics||DXF PDF|
|BioBarrier®1.0||1000 US gallons per day (3785 LPD)||consult Bio-Microbics||DXF PDF|
|BioBarrier®1.5||1500 US gallons per day (5678 LPD)||consult Bio-Microbics||DXF PDF|
PLEASE NOTE: In order to open the zipped CAD version, you must have zip compression software, such as WinZip or QuickZip. In order to view the CAD (.dxf) file, you must have installed CAD viewing software, Release 12 or newer. The PDF format can be viewed by installing Adobe Acrobat Reader (4.0 or newer). Click on the images to the right to download either Adobe FREE Acrobat Reader or QuickZip.
Our products are certified to the highest national and international standards in our industry. If you require additional certification marks, etc, please e-mail your request to email@example.com.
USA and International Product Certifications
The list below is a summary of a few certifications received for the products of Bio-Microbics:
- NSF/ANSI Standard 40, Class 1 Certified (BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5) – NSF (National Sanitation Foundation International) tests residential wastewater treatment systems having rated capacities between 400 gallons (1514 Liters) and 1500 gallons (5678 Liters) per day. The Standard 40 includes a wide range of product evaluation methods and criteria for residential treatment systems. Most notably is the ability of the treatment system to produce an acceptable quality of effluent. This is demonstrated during a six month (26 week) test where wastewater of required strength is subjected to the system at the rated capacity of the system as evenly dosed at periods prescribed by the standard. Stress sequences are included to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. The effluent criteria required of a Class I system is based on the U.S. EPA secondary effluent treatment requirements for municipal treatment facilities. In addition to the effluent performance, requirements also exist for product literature, including installation, operation and maintenance, and trouble shooting and repair manuals. The system must also meet minimum requirements for structural integrity, leakage, noise, electrical certification, access ports, failure sensing and signaling equipment (visual and audible alarms), flow design, data plate and service labels.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 245 (Nitrogen Reduction) Certified (BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5) – Developed for systems to provide acceptable levels of nitrogen reduction. The evaluation involves six months of performance testing, incorporating stress tests to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. Throughout the testing, samples are collected during design loading periods and evaluated against the pass/fail requirements. A treatment system must meet the following effluent concentrations averaged over the course of the testing period in order to meet Standard 245 (CBOD5=25 mg/L, TSS=30 mg/L, Total Nitrogen=at least a 50% average of influent TKN, and pH=6.0 to 9.0 SU).
- NSF/ANSI tested for bacterial reduction of fecal coliform (BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5)
- NSF/ANSI Standard 350, Class R (Water Reuse) Certified (BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5 – FIRST system to achieve this Standard!) – Developed for residential wastewater treatment systems designed to provide for water reuse onsite. The evaluation involves 6 months of performance testing, incorporating stress tests to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. With a key focus on public health and appropriate water quality criteria for reuse applications; this is the first standard of its type for comprehensive evaluation of water reuse technologies, spanning residential and commercial applications. Technologies testing against Standard 350 must meet Standard 40 and 245 prior to testing.
- EN 12566-3 (European Union Standards) – Packaged and/or site assembled domestic wastewater treatment plants for up to 50 People
- All Control Panels – CSA (Canadian Standards Association) Electrical Certification CSA International and the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI), the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), Health Canada, provincial regulators, and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to promote standards for consumer safety in North America and around the world. CSA testing is accepted by key conformity assessment organizations in the U.S. including IAPMO and ASSE. Tested and meets applicable standards for safety and/or performance, including the applicable standards written or administered by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), National Sanitation Foundation International (NSF), and others.
- All Control Panels – CE – European Electrical Systems (including a “Tropical Certification Rating”) The European (EN) standards by adopting universal requirements to cover all of Europe and promote the free movement of goods within Europe. When products have been shown to meet the essential requirements of the directive or EN standard the product is available for sale anywhere in the European market.
- All Control Panels – ETL and RoHS Compliant – Intertek Testing Services Evaluated and meets the standard equivalent to the requirements set by Intertek and equivalent to UL (Underwriter’s Laboratories). Periodic checks are performed to assure consistent compliance of the product and in compliance with both Canadian and U.S. requirements.
- FOGHog® Fat Oil & Grease Interceptor FH-20 & FH-50 – IAPMO Certified– IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials) developed a Uniform Plumbing Code and Uniform Mechanical Code that is adopted by plumbing and mechanical engineers who follow these standards of uniformity to promote professionalism within the industry. Using the ANSI-accredited organization method, which is based on consensus, these codes set the standard for engineers to perform plumbing and mechanical duties uniformly, according to IAPMO standards of certification. Several states are or have considered making Mechanical or Plumbing Inspector certification a requirement for current or prospective inspectors.
- All Control Panels – SASO (Saudi Arabian Standards Organization) Electrical Standards The Saudi Arabian Standards Organization approves national standards and measurements for all commodities and products, methods of sampling, inspection and testing, in addition to other assignments resolved by SASO Board of Directors in the Kingdom.
Independent Third-Party Testing
Verification programs/locations in which Bio-Microbics installed a Wastewater Treatment System for analysis of performance:
- Massachusetts Title 5 General Use – The first system described as an “Innovative and Alternative (I/A) System” to receive the General Use Approval rating for Nitrogen Reduction
- Florida OWNRS (Onsite Wastewater Nitrogen Reduction Study) Phases I and II
- New Mexico State/New Mexico University
- University of Rhode Island
- Buzzards Bay, MA
- Ventura County, CA
- US EPA Environmental Technology Verification Program (ETV), B.C., Canada
- La Pine, OR
- Burnette, WA
- NSF International testing and evaluation for Standard 40, 245, and 350
Recent Business and Technology Awards
- 2017 North American “Integrated Water Treatment Technology Leadership” Award, Frost & Sullivan
- 2017 Top 10 Green Building Products, BuildingGreen, Inc.- d-Rain Joint™ Device
- 2016 President’s “E Star” Award * 2012 President’s “E” Award for Excellence in Exports, granted by President of the United States, presented by US Dept of Commerce
- 2015 Ingenuity Award Winner, Ingenuity Central @ K-State Olathe, Ingenuity Central (IC) showcases innovative companies that exemplify the newest thinking driving our community & growing our economy.
- 2015 Innovation in Marine Environmental Technology Offshore Excellence Award, based on environmental impact with marine sanitation devices and technology.
- 2014 “BEST of GreenBuild” Editor’s Choice Award, U.S. Builder’s Review, “Creating Better Water Treatment Solutions for a Better World…“article.
- 2012 President’s “E” Award for Excellence in Exports, granted by the U.S. President, presented by the U.S. Department of Commerce
- 2011 Kansas Governor Exporter of the Year, presented by the Governor of Kansas
- 2011 North American Technology Innovation Award (Decentralized Commercial Outlets) – Frost & Sullivan
- 2011 New Product of the Year Award (Recycling) – BioBarrier® MBR System – Environmental Protection (EPOnline)
- 2010 North American Technology Innovation Award (Water/Wastewater) – Frost & Sullivan
- 2009 Exporter of the Year Award, Environmental – ThinkGlobal / Commercial News USA (Official publication of the U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- 2009 Technology Merit Business Achievement Award, Water/Wastewater – Environmental Business Journal (EBJ)
- 2002 U.S. Export Achievement Certificate, US Dept. of Commerce, US & Foreign Commercial Service
- 2000 U.S. EPA Environmental Technology Innovator Award – U.S. EPA, Region 1 – SeptiTech® Technology