Frequently Asked Questions
About BioMicrobics | Water Conservation with Wastewater Treatment
For sustainable water management systems and decentralized residential and commercial wastewater (blackwater/greywater) treatment projects in over 70 countries, BioMicrobics products are the popular alternatives to conventional septic systems in residential, commercial, marine and vineyard applications to provide homeowners, builders, land developers, commercial property owners, and (for more than 30 years) ship owners, with reliable wastewater and stormwater treatment solutions to address better onsite water management.
Designed for new/existing residential development to high-strength commercial, municipal capabilities, and marine vessels, BioMicrobics is a leading manufacturer of decentralized wastewater (submerged Fixed-Film, Trickling Filter, Extended Aeration, and MBR Technologies); septic system effluent screens and enhancements; greywater treatment & water reuse; and stormwater filtration and treatment systems products. At the forefront of sustainable, clean technology, BioMicrobics systems from 150 to 2.5 million gallons [1800 L to 9400 m3] per day treatment systems! meet the highest worldwide performance, nutrient reduction for Nitrogen (TKN), and safety standards with decades of real-world operating history.
Through a worldwide distributor network, BioMicrobics has been recognized as a leader in “Integrated Water Resources Management”:
- An official winner of the DirectIndustry 2017 i-NOVO ECO Award
- 2017 North American Integrated Water Treatment Technology Leadership Award
- 2017 Top 10 Green Building Product of the Year!
Have a question about BioMicrobics? Send your question here. You may see it posted here in the future:
* How do I become trained on or become a distributor for BioMicrobics treatment systems?
How do I become trained on or become a distributor for BioMicrobics treatment systems?
To request additional product information, training at the factory, ask a specific question or get distributor information, please complete this form. Upon submitting your inquiry, a member of our sales team will contact you.
If you would like to talk directly to a member of our sales team about a specific project, please call us at 1-800-753-3278 or +1-913-422-0707.
* Do you have any upcoming TradeShows or Training Events?
Do you have any upcoming TradeShows or Training Events?
Learn more about any of the various Water/Wastewater Expos we attend or would like to stop by the BioMicrobics, Scienco/FAST, or SeptiTech Booths, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org:
If you would like more information about attending a Show to meet with us or would like a Member of our Team to present at an upcoming event, contact us at email@example.com.
* Do advanced wastewater systems perform as well as a centralized sewer system?
Do advanced wastewater systems perform as well as a centralized sewer system?
A properly installed and maintained Wastewater Treatment System constructed from high-quality products is an efficient, safe and effective method of purifying wastewater. In a major 1997 report to Congress, the federal EPA stated that properly maintained onsite wastewater treatment systems (septic systems) were a fully viable cost-effective alternative to sewer systems.
* When was the FAST® product first introduced? How long has BioMicrobics been in business?
When was the FAST® product first introduced? How long has BioMicrobics been in business?
The FAST® technology has been on the market since the early 1970s through St. Louis Ship and FAST® Systems owned by Smith and Loveless, Inc., a municipal wastewater conglomerate since 1946. BioMicrobics has been in business since 1996 with the purpose of using the FAST® technology in the on-site industry. Since that time, the FAST® Product line has grown to include MicroFAST®, RetroFAST®, HighstrengthFAST®, NitriFAST®, and MyFAST®, as well as the original, MarineFAST®. With over 50,000 installations in over 60 countries, the BioMicrobics Fixed Integrated Treatment Technologies (FITT®) are used in many different wastewater treatment applications from single-family homes, resorts, commercial properties, schools, and marine vessels to stormwater management…FITT® for the purpose intended.
* What, specifically, are the advantages of FAST® over conventional technologies on the market today?
What, specifically, are the advantages of FAST® over conventional technologies on the market today?
In a conventional septic system, about 10%-40% of the treatment occurs in the tank, leaving a majority of the work to be done by the soil in the lateral field; whereas, the FAST® system does 95%-99% of the treatment to keep the “friendly” bacteria alive and thriving to remove organic material, pollutants, and viruses out of the wastewater.
The pre-engineered, fixed-film media never needs changing or cleaning; and, prevents the bacteria from being flushed out with the clean effluent during times of peak usage – which often happens with other types of septic systems.
FAST® is an ATU (aerobic treatment unit) that utilizes a completely submerged fixed film process along with a passive recycle system that has the advantages of a fixed film system without pumped recirculation or the drying of the bacterial growth on the media.
Properly sized and installed, the FAST® system is proven to remove 70+% Nitrogen (NSF/ANSI Standard 245 certified) from the effluent.
The only moving part of the FAST® system is the above ground, aerating blower (which can be placed up to 100 feet away!), so the system is virtually maintenance free!
* Do you provide warranties or guarantees about this product?
Do you provide warranties or guarantees about this product?
BioMicrobics, Inc. provides a 2-year warranty for each new system against any defects in manufactured materials and workmanship.
* What services does BioMicrobics offer to the design and installation of commercial systems?
What services does BioMicrobics offer to the design and installation of commercial systems?
BioMicrobics provides CAD drawings of our systems and products, Installation/Service/Owner’s Manuals, plus Field Services and telephone consultation if desired. BioMicrobics Distributors’ technicians are trained on FAST® and BioBarrier® residential and commercial systems in concrete, steel, fiberglass, plastic, or any other watertight-type tank; and will be responsible for the final inspection and start-up of all our systems. If you would like the contact of a Distributor near you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* What assures my BioMicrobics system runs smoothly?
What assures my BioMicrobics system runs smoothly?
The simple-in-design, self-cleaning/regulating BioMicrobics systems are designed to treat wastewater without operators or any supervision. Our innovative wastewater technologies provide:
- Proven Track Record – From the first system (MarineFAST installed in 1969) to now, over 60,000+ systems installed in over 70 countries
- Highest Quality Effluent – first to receive NSF/ANSI Standard 350, class R (Water Reuse) certification (BioBarrier® MBR)
- Nitrification/Denitrification Capability – MicroFAST® and BioBarrier® MBR systems are NSF/ANSI Standard 245 (nitrogen reduction) certified
- Consistent High-Level Treatment – whether domestic strength or high strength wastewater, our non-corresponsive components; one moving part (the long-life blower); and self-cleaning media promotes full treatment capability in less than 2 weeks from start-up
The most combined Awards, Certifications, and Approvals than any other in the industry! Certifications Page
- Environmental Protection Agency-Environmental Technology Verified (EPA-ETV)
- National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) International Certified (500 gpd-1500 gpd)
- European Union Standards (EN-12566-3) Certified
- Technology Innovation Awards (Frost & Sullivan)
- IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials) Listed
- GreenSpec Listed for BuildingGreen.com
- Water/Wastewater Technology Merit Award (Environmental Business Journal-EBJ)
- New Product of the Year (Environmental Protection Magazine-EPOnline)
- …and more!
* What is the S.O.S.-Save Our Septic® Program?
What is the S.O.S.-Save Our Septic® Program?
The S.O.S.-Save Our Septic® Program is a 1-Year Money-Back Warranty. By installing our RetroFAST® Septic System Enhancement to biologically-failed septic systems, this Prevention-Remediation program provides homeowners peace of mind by offering a MONEY-BACK warranty. If, after one year from the date of installation, the RetroFAST® does not remediate the existing failed septic system; the owner is entitled to the refund amount of RetroFAST system. Click here for more Program details.